Sunday 31 December 2017

#Veganuary 2018 - Smokey Sausage Casserole

So I posted on @tinnedtoms post about veganuary and she pointed me in the direction of this easy recipe on her blog  - the recipe on her blog looked easy enough to do but I have to admit I just used it as a guideline - mainly because I am a rubbish cook and have zero ingredients in my cupboards! Also I don't like mashed potatoes which is what she served hers with.

Using her recipe as a guide I made my own version :):

Ingredients:

Pack of 6 Linda Mcartney veggie sausages (these are vegan unlike quorn ones as quorn uses egg as a binding agent)
1 leek
1 onion
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of sliced carrots (I had no fresh!)
1 tin of sliced mushrooms (ditto above)
1 tin of baked beans with the sauce washed off
1/2 tin of kindey beans
1/2 tin of butter beans
1000 ml of veg stock (2 cubes - I was really surprised to learn that not all veg stock cubes are vegan - some have lactose in them which is a sugar from dairy!)
1 tsp of lazy garlic (the pre chopped stuff in a jar)
approx 10 small salad potatoes in their skins washed and chopped
1/2 a can of fruity cider (again so many have random animal products in them! mine didnt)

Method:

  • Sliced and diced and washed the leek - lightly fried in olive oil until soft and added to the slow cooker
  • Poured in the stock
  • Added  in tin of tomatoes
  • Added in tin of carrots
  • Added in tin of mushrooms
  • Washed tomato sauce off baked beans
  • Added in backed beans
  • Added in half tin of kidney and butter beans
  • Sliced and diced the onion and lightly fried in olive oil - added  in garlic and added to slow cooker
  • Washed and sliced potatoes - boiled until firm not soft and added to slow cooker
  • Added some salt and pepper to slow cooker
  • Cooked 6 pack of veggie sausages in oven, once cooked sliced each sausage into 6 pieces and added to slow cooker
  • Poured in half a can of cider
  • Cooked everything on medium heat of 3 hours
  • Cooled and portioned out into containers ready to freeze 
Surprisingly it actually tastes  pretty good - smokey with a hint of fruity sweetness :D

It made a massive amount as well - after I portioned it out I had 5 large meal size portions and 2 smaller lunch size portions. 



Here's hoping the rest of the recipes I try turn out as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment